Enhancing cognitive health can protect you from dementia and other related diseases, improve your memory, and sharpen your intellectual skills. Here are expert-endorsed brain health strategies that will improve your brain functions:
1. Exercise your brain. Brain games and certain exercises related to cognitive functions help in creating new associations between the different parts of the brain. Among what experts call “nuerobic” exercises include solving puzzles and brainteasers, using your non-dominant hand to brush your teeth or comb your hair, mind mapping, eating blindfolded or showering with your eyes closed.
2. Limit alcohol intake. Experts say alcohol lowers your brain volume. In a study conducted at Wellesley College in Massachusetts, they found out that heavy drinking shrinks the brain. (Heavy drinking was defined as drinking more than 14 drinks per week, moderate as 8 to 14 times per week, and low as less than 7 drinks per week).
3. Try something new. One way on how to promote brain health is to keep your brain active. It slows down brain deterioration since you are allowing it to function. Taking Spanish or French lessons, memorizing poetry, and learning a new musical instrument are a few recommended ways to keep the memory sharp as you age.
4. Dance tango. Physical activity is one of the ways that can promote growth of new brain cells. It can also reduce the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease since dance requires steps that strengthen brain connections.
5. Sleep. It is a way of resting the brain, energizing it, and allowing it to process information. It will also help to sleep and wake up at regular schedules.
6. Volunteer. Research shows that this lower your stress levels and increases your mental functioning, as demonstrated in a study conducted among Good Samaritans. In addition, it adds to a person’s well-being, overall health, and communication skills. Volunteering also promotes brain health by raising your self-esteem and increasing your feelings of self-efficacy.
7. Socialize with people. As one of brain health strategies, talking with other people increases a person’s memory and cognitive skills. Visiting a friend is actually comparable with solving a crossword puzzle since it is shown to boost intellectual performance same as participating in intellectual activities.
8. Vary activities and incorporate different activities into your life. Challenge your body and brain because it is proven to make them healthier and stronger. For instance, instead of relying on your regular activities to promote the health of your brain, include different activities into your life. Develop a hobby. Take your child hiking. Change from yoga class to aerobic class.
9. Eat foods that increase brain health. Nutritious foods promote overall body health.
Specific foods are healthier for the brain, which include red cabbage, healthy fats, tomatoes, ginger, and egg yolks.
10. Select foods that are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, since Omega-3 helps in proper functioning of the brain. Berries, beans, legumes, fish, and avocados are rich sources of brain health nutrients. Use supplementation to aid these foods in maintaining the health of your brain. Fish oil supplements are rich in Omega-3 and are recommended for brain health by doctors and nutritionists.